Call us01689 822554


Our aim is to help separating couples resolve any problems in relation to their children amicably, avoiding the Court system if possible, but making effective use of it where necessary.

Children will cope far better with divorce and/or separation if they know their parents have reached an agreement about their future.  If you are separating from your partner and have children together, it is important to consider using mediation to resolve any problems that arise.  However, if court proceedings are necessary, then our experienced family lawyers will strive to help you achieve the best possible outcome.

We can advise on a variety of techniques to resolve problems more quickly, amicably and at both a lower financial and emotional cost.  If you wish to deal with matters yourself, but just need some friendly, experienced legal advice from time to time, we are happy to help you in that way.

The Legal Basics

A married mother and father automatically acquire legal rights and responsibilities in relation to their child.  This is called Parental Responsibility.  When a party has this, they can apply to the court for a Contact Order or a Residence Order.

If the parents are not married but their child was born after 1st December 2003 and the father’s name is on the Birth Certificate, then both parents have Parental Responsibility.

If the child was born before that date, or the father’s name is not on the Birth Certificate, the father can acquire Parental Responsibility by entering into an agreement with the mother or applying to the court for an Order.

Our skills and experience

Advising on the best interests of, and/or representing, children is a specialist area and our experienced Family Law Team includes members of:

  • Resolution (Accredited Specialist)
  • Law Society’s Family Law Panel
  • Children Panel Accreditation Scheme
  • Association of Lawyers for Children.

Accordingly, we have been formally accredited by the Law Society and other specialist professional bodies as having the skills and experience necessary to represent all parties in cases concerning children.

 Such cases include the following:

  • Contact, by parents and other family members such as grandparents and step parents
  • Residence
  • Shared Care
  • Financial provision for children (including those of unmarried couples)
  • Parental Responsibility
  • Prohibited Steps Order
  • Specific Issues Order
  • Emergency Procedures
  • Child abduction
  • Wardship
  • Child Care Investigation
  • Child Care proceedings
  • Special Guardianship Order
  • Adoption

From 1st October 2017    New family court guidance to protect children during custody disputes

New family court guidance to protect children from violent parents during custody disputes is “lifesaving,” domestic violence campaigners say. The changes, which end a presumption that both parents should be granted access, will be introduced on Monday. The MoJ said it was determined to improve the treatment of abuse victims in the justice system. Women’s Aid, which has campaigned for the changes for over a year, says 20 children have been killed by a parent who was also a known perpetrator of domestic abuse.

Child Care Proceedings

The law relating to children is extremely complex and designed to protect young people.

Where Local Authorities consider their own involvement to be necessary, they prefer to work with parents in relation to the care of their children; however, they have a duty to act and intervene if they believe that the health, welfare or safety of a child is at risk.

If court proceedings are being commenced for your children to be taken into care, or if they are already in care, then it is essential that you obtain specialist advice immediately.

What we will do

We may contact the Local Authority to arrange a meeting where we will try to avoid legal action being commenced.

If legal action has already started, we will advise and guide you at every stage of the process and do all that is possible to achieve the best outcome.

We will advise you on:
  • Your visiting rights if the children are in care
  • Family members caring for children as an alternative to foster parents
  • The best way forward for you and your child
Expert help

Our experience in this field will provide you with the expertise that you will need to resolve this very distressing situation. We will also make every effort to ensure that you are able to maintain a relationship with your children.

For care proceedings you are automatically entitled to public funding (“Legal Aid”) if you are a parent.

Warring parents risk losing children

The Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (Cafcass) is to carry out a “groundbreaking” trial whereby divorcing parents could be denied contact with their children if they try to turn them against their former partner.  Please click here for more information.

Child Abduction

Maria James is a Resolution Accredited Specialist in child abduction matters and the firm is a member of the ICACU panel – the International Child Abduction and Contact Unit – which is run by the Official Solicitor’s office and deals with the cases of children that are brought into England & Wales by one parent without the consent of the other parent.

Acting on behalf of parents

The ICACU refers applications to panel members on behalf of parents from around the world whose children have either been brought to England & Wales without consent, or retained here beyond an agreed period. These applications take place at the High Court and are funded by Legal Aid.  For Applicants (i.e. the left behind parent) the Legal Aid is available on a non means non merits basis – i.e. it is automatic regardless of their own financial circumstances. For the Respondents (i.e. the parent who has brought the child into the country) it is available but on a means tested basis.


Applications can be made by parents only in countries that are signatories to the Hague Convention which is an international agreement on child abduction.  Many countries around the world are signatories, as well as all EU countries.

Applicants in those countries that are not Hague Convention countries, and are non EU, can avail themselves of a very similar procedure called wardship to seek the return of their children.  Legal Aid is also available in those cases but it is means tested in for both Applicants and Respondents.

If you are a Respondent

While we will receive instructions directly from ICACU for Applicants in Hague Convention cases, should you wish to receive advice and/or make an application in a Wardship case, or if you are a Respondent and have been served with papers in either Hague Convention or Wardship proceedings, we will be equally happy to use our expertise in this area to assist you in every way possible.

For further advice please contact us on 01689 822554,
or email us at


Family & Children

Enquiry now

  1. required
  2. required
  3. required
  4. required
  5. Please confirm you have read and understood the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

What our clients say about us:

  • “We have both been impressed with your diligent and thorough conveyancing, highlighting issues with the property that had been missed during the previous sale”.

  • “Catherine Westcott truly helped us beyond her duty and was always there for us, going that extra mile made all the difference”.

  • “All very satisfactory, efficient and approachable. We now look upon Thomas Dunton as our solicitors”.

  • “Extremely satisfied with the service that you have provided. We will be recommending Thomas Dunton to our family and friends”. 

  • “Great patience and great deal of thought to ensure our Will achieved our complicated requirements. Thank you”.

  • “I found the staff I dealt with professional, practical and patient…helping to clarify matters and enabling me to take better informed decisions”.

  • “Wonderful and understanding of my circumstances. Guided me through the process and presented all the options in a way that I could understand”.

  • “Thank you for all your hard work. You have been amazing. I will forever be thankful that you were my solicitor”.

  • “The service was exceptional —  friendly, welcoming and sympathetic. I do not think that I could have received a better service anywhere else“.

  • “No words to express my gratitude to your amazing work and patience”.

  • “Thank you very much for the courtesy, care and efficiency which we have received from you and everyone we have dealt with at Thomas Dunton”. 

  • “Thank you so much for all your help for my family and I.  I am so very  grateful.  You’re  my little Christmas angels”

  • “What you all do for people is amazing. You should all be proud of yourselves for putting a little bit of light back in my life and I’m most certain that of others”

  • “The firm give their clients very detailed and clear advice in plain English.”

  • “Extremely friendly, did not feel that anything was too much trouble”.

  • “I received a very prompt, professional and caring service from you at a very sad and distressing time”.


  • “Thank you all for your amazing support throughout last year.  You really are a fabulous team”.


  • “It really was a hideous experience, but every time I got to the point I couldn’t breathe and I spoke to one of you, I felt instantly strong again”.

  •  “You made me giggle and reassured me whenever I was about to cry or hide in a cupboard, often picking up the phone to check I was ok – so very kind”.


  • “Vernon Hadida is by far the best solicitor I have ever dealt with.”

  • “Extremely satisfied with the service which I considered excellent value for money.”

  • “I was very happy with the service. I was always able to speak to somebody that could help me when I telephoned.”

  • “Thank you for all your work on my claim. I am extremely grateful for your assistance.”

  • “Thomas Dunton exceeded my expectations in terms of both service quality and value for money.”